Wednesday 8 November 2017

Drawing Tuesday: Ancient Cyprus gallery at British Museum




Sketching Tuesday at the British Museum  was in Room 72 ( Ancient Cyprus) . I  started by drawing the curvy terracotta votive figures ( 'Goddesses or Mortals?')  but then was fascinated by the backs of the statues   seen through the cabinet. At the end of the session I went to have a closer look .  I loved the chisel marks of the rough backs contrasted with the smooth, more finely worked fronts and the negative space between.  You could also see the reflections of their faces in the glass, very eerie but I know my limitations!  I did try to put into practice  what I'd learnt about drawing sculptures from the excellent British museum drawing course I went on last year( examples conveniently  at the front of my sketchbook!)

No comments: