Sunday 9 June 2013

I know where I'm going but....

 In between pulling buttercups and ivy out of the  strawberry patch I've been stitching samples for the 2 quilts I'm working on  and come to some decisions  - whether I'll have enough time to bring them to fruition is a another matter! On my test sample for 'horizons' piece (below) I tried out machine stitching working from the back  with perle threads in the bobbin. That didn't work - too dense and pulled the cloth up badly. Hand stitching  worked better, especially with my favourite Gutterman silk buttonhole  thread and some gorgeous hand dyed cotton purchased from Laura Wasilowski at Nottingham AGM
 The time spent wasn't wasted thought - the dense line from perle in the bobbin combined with twin needle stitching  will work very well I think on the 'mudflats' piece. I had to quickly assemble a sample to test it out but with a bit more stitching it will become one of my indigo journal quilts - I like how this theme is working for me.
 Hand stitching will not be neglected - I like the effect particularly on the shibori .  But if  when time is short I can work accordingly. I also like having both a machine and hand project on the go.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one at this stage working on two pieces at once. Fascinating work and I will be looking forward to seeing the finished work.

Sandra Wyman said...

Me too - working on Horizons + FOQ quilt; these look fascinating Mags - looking forward to seeing them...

Sandy said...

Oh, then am I mad for working on Horizons, and 3 FOQ pieces? One will also be for TVCT and one is miniature, but still!
However, I have made two smaller pieces that have become more like samples...so I learned a bit about what should work for the others.
one problem is my 'new' wadding (which I bought several years ago and only recently opened) has more loft than I was used to and I have had to do more quilting to flatten it.
Sandy
PS, don't answer the mad bit. ;-)