Wednesday 5 September 2012

Inspiration from the Day Job

My 2011 Journal Quilts 'Spring Circles' were based on my research at Kew - you can see a video of  my work environment  here.  Only had 20 minutes notice that the film crew were coming  otherwise I'd have taken more care in my choice of earrings!!

 I'm debating whether to throw my hat in the ring submitting a proposal for SAQA 'Earth Stories' with a series of linked quilts around my work with another threatened  species , the Lady's Slipper Orchid.
I made a small quilt (above) over 10 years ago that was bought by English Nature (now Natural England) for their head office and more recently these 6 inch pieces for Quilting Arts 'Go Green' challenge from a recycled lab coat.
I've moved  on a lot in the techniques I use for my art quilts and am thinking it's time to use these to show the developments in my work as a scientist.
 

4 comments:

Susan Briscoe said...

Go for it!

Mai-Britt Axelsen said...

Great to see you in the dayjob, Mags and to learn about your 2011 JQs.

As Susan says - go for it!

Olga Norris said...

I think the earrings look good! It looks a fascinating job - what with the textiles and painting as well there is obviously never a dull moment! Great.

Alex said...

Such depth and detail in those little quilts - fantastic!