Thursday 14 June 2012

After Sea, Sand


After so many indigo  sea pieces recently time to move onto  different kinds of wave.
The colour theme for the next set of Journal Quilts is shades of yellow so I've been exploring sand ripples using scraps from older projects. The design wall  has got various potential bits of cloth marinating including the potassium permanganate arashi shibori from Summer School 2010 ( well I've used most of the indigo  I produced in that workshop!


 Not the first time I've looked at sand ripples - the top Journal Quilt uses left over blocks from 'Silver Threads Among the Gold' (Quilters Guild Challenge for 25th Anniversary) and the sample below was produced in preparation of Strindberg Shore
 The companion piece to that  as part of the 'In the Spotlight' display at FoQ in 2007 was 'Erg Chebbi' based on Moroccan sand dunes. It featured  on the cover of the 2008 Guild Calendar so altered in colour I didn't recognise it - and I know it well as  the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning, hanging opposite our bed.

No comments: