Tuesday 24 January 2012

Read the Rules





I've always been someone who  is motivated by deadlines ( at University my lab practicals and essays were always completed the night before) . I spend a lot of time thinking and planning but the final pulling together is done almost at the last minute.  With quilts, I often  have submission for  shows and exhibitions in mind when I'm planning and making a piece  so that I've got something to work towards and  I've learnt to build in time for taking photographs and filling in entry forms
I've had  this indigo shibori wave  piece on the go for a while and with deadlines for submission  in a few weeks I've been picking up the pace of my hand stitching so I can  trim and face it  one weekend photograph it the next and be in comfortable time ( for me anyway) to submit the entry.
So imagine my horror when I looked again at the entry rules this weekend  and found that this piece is too small!! (it's 150cm in length but narrow). I'm so cross with myself! It won't be wasted - I'll probably enter it in FoQ and having longer does mean that I can work further on it to make it more cohesive and link the various areas of concentrated stitching.
Meanwhile I'm looking at a larger older UFO to see whether I can do something radical to  it and still meet the submission deadline. I'm rather excited and it could go horribly wrong but nothing ventured etc...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crikey, what a nuisance. Still it's a beautiful piece and will be lovely to see it at foq. Good luck with the deadline!

Gillian Cooper said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've gone to complete the forms to discover my work is too big, which is so annoying. This piece looks amazing - I'm sure you will find another opportunity for it soon.

Alex said...

Thank goodness you read the rules sooner rather than later! It's lovely though and I'm sure will fit beautifully somewhere else. Interested to see how the time constraints will shape the new piece.

shiborigirl said...

i love the stitching on this. it has inspired some indigo shibori thoughts...

Uta Lenk said...

Yes, I've had that happen to me - wrong size... but just imagine what the world would look like if it weren't for the last minutes! A lot of things would never get done...

WesternWilson said...

This is just beautiful! Would you consider posting a tutorial on your design and construction process for this piece?