Friday 19 March 2010

Painting Pebbles

This week and next in my drawing class is devoted to our own projects. After a lot of dithering, I decided on a return to seascapes with an attempt to simplify and find patterns rather then the 'photographic' results I often seem to end up with (probably as a result of working from photos in the first place). I'm quite pleased with what I achieved with acrylics on canvas board although I'm going to set myself some homework before next week as I struggled a bit with the pebbles.
I've been rereading 'The elements of drawing' by John Ruskin and one of the exercises is building up the shapes and contours of stones with consecutive washes of watercolour. Sounds like it might be useful observational practice - I'm going to be working larger next week, on a piece of gesso primed Durham Quilt.

2 comments:

The WestCountryBuddha said...

That is quite quite fabulous Mags! Such movement and colour.

neki desu said...

wonderful photo.you can get a lot of mileage from it!