Tuesday 9 June 2009

QuiltWOW Article

I love a nice crumbly door with peeling paint and I know I'm not alone in this! After I'd blogged earlier in the year about my experiments in capturing the qualities of such doors in stitch and paint, Maggie Grey got in contact asking if I'd like to do an article for 'QuiltWOW'. This has just been published in the June issue. Below is the door that started it off- a phototransfer on gessoed old durham quilt with additional acrylic paint.
It was an interesting challenge writing up the techniques I use with acrylics, taking photos along the way - although I'm used to writing instructions for work, it was quite a different experience. Needless to say I produced far more samples than were needed ( which I made up as 12 inch square Journal Quilts) but this has had the benefit of me at last thinking of doing a much larger piece. I've been collecting photos and have lots of watercolour sketches but it's been a subject waiting for the right techniques to come along to give it justice. Maybe once I get my FoQ entry out of the way..... Combined Samples

3 comments:

Chrissie said...

These are brilliant in close-up! I'm so envious ...

Linda B. said...

Great article - thank you for taking on the challenge! I don't paint but I've found some very interesting copyright free images on the internet that would work .....

The Hardy Quilters said...

Great article. Enjoyed it very much. Must get to work and try to do it properly when I have time. I seem to be constantly in motion at the moment. Thanks for publishing.