Sunday 2 September 2007

Sculpture

Henry Moore Sculpture at Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

Sculptural Wisteria
I was in work yesterday (Saturday) to give a tour of the lab to Orpington Field Club. Walking to the Victoria Gate to meet them, I had the opportunity to see some of the Henry Moore sculptures that are being put into position for the exhibition opening 15 September. It has caused quite a bit of disruption with walkways closed and cranes lifting the bronzes over the gates when too large to enter by lorry but its already looking stunning. I'm assuming that the metal barriers will be removed - at the moment the scupltures look like dangerous animals behind bars at the zoo!
Seeing the sculptures set in the landscape gives a different perspective on objects see everyday. I was particularly struck by the Wisteria growing up the admin building when I went to collect some post.






















1 comment:

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Thank you for showing us the sculptures. Its been a long time since I have been to Kew..... not since I taught in Brentford - and that was quite a while a go. The Brylcreem factory was just up the road.... that will let you know how long ago that was!!! So I think a visit should be in my diary.
Best Wishes
Maggie