Mixed success in session 8 of Contemporary Painting Studio at City Lit, only 2 more sessions left and the pressure is on.
I started by cutting down my huge newspaper collage to a square format ( the offcut providing a test surface for samples of paint marks , above) and taped it up on the screen with my efforts from previous weeks on boards.
I then took a sharp intake of breath and painted on the large piece - a very different experience painting on a textured surface to a smooth one, detail below.
I wasn't sure about it so leaving it to dry, I completed the small canvas I started a few weeks ago, making corrections that I'd worked out by using photocopies. I'm pleased with it now, it has a real sense of space and mystery.
The intermediate one however was not going well, if anything I'd made it even worse!
Some application of inks after a talk with Lucinda and it's beginning to look better.
We discussed the difficulties in scaling up - how the large pieces were not yet working as the direction and dynamics of the lines are not in the same relationship as the smaller (successful ) collages where the space really works well.
She suggested I look at the work of Diana Taylor ( below) where industrial/ technical drawing of lines etc can provide contrast with larger marks to give a suggestion of space.
Next time the suggestion is to blow-up size of newspaper/collage materials as well as the mark.